(правильные ответы нужно выделять курсивом)
1. Schools _ pay _ attention to examination _ and more attention _ child.
a) may, a few, successes, to a
b) can, little, successes, for the
c) must, few, successes, on a
d) should, less, success, to the
2. Can you play _ violin? – Yes, and I think _ violin is more difficult than _ piano.
a) the, the, the
b) a, a, a
c) a, _, _
d) the, the, a
3. The Prime Minister left this morning for a tour of _ Far East. He will visit _ Singapore and _ Malaysia and then go on to _ Philippines where he will make _ speech about the environment.
a) _, _, _, the, a
b) the, the, the, _, the
c) the, _, _, the, a
d) _, _, _, _,
4. The King Juan Carlos of the Spain arrived in London today for _ visit to _ United Kingdom. He _ by _ Queen and drove with her to _ Buckingham Palace.
a) three days, the, met, the, _
b) three days, _, was being met, _, the
c) a three day, the, was met, the, _
d) a three day’s, the, was meeting, _, _
5. When my rich uncle died, he left _ half of his fortune to his cat and _ other half to a distant relative!
a) a, _
b) _, a
c) _, the
d) the, the
6. There are _ new houses, but they have no _ local character; you can see the same style _ in the country.
a) a few, a, everywhere
b) less, _, somewhere
c) some, the, nowhere
d) a few, _, anywhere
7. Do you happen _ which is the _ planet in our solar system? – Pluto, _ it? I know it is the _ away from the sun.
a) to know, smallest, doesn’t, farthest
b) to know, smallest, isn’t, furthest
c) knowing, smaller, doesn’t, farther
d) to have know, small, isn’t, far
8. In spite of the fact that Jean always _ she’s short _ money, she _ to have a very _ paid job.
a) says, of, is said, well
b) tells, for, says, good
c) says, on, talks, good
d) tells, in, is told, well
9. We used to _ bed at _ midnight or later. Now we are asleep by ten because with our baby we’ve had to get used to _ up at five o’clock.
a) go, the, wake
b) go, _, waking
c) going, _, waking
d) going, the, wake
10. We _ to finish the project by the end of the month but we keep _ by changes in the plans.
a) hope, to delay
b) have hoped, to be delayed
c) hoped, delaying
d) hope, being delayed
11. I did not much speak English _ because I couldn’t think of the words _ enough, but lately I _ much _.
a) first, quick, became, fluent
b) at first, quickly, have become, more fluent
c) firstly, quicker, had become, fluenter
d) the first, more quickly, became, more fluenter
12. I think it’s a pity Rebecca had her hair _ short because she looked much _ before.
a) to cut, nicer
b) cutting, more nice
c) cut, nicer
d) to have cut, more nicely
13. I don’t mind _ at by him. He threatened _ me last week, but he apologized _ me very politely then.
a) shouting, to sack, at
b) being shouting, sacking, in front of
c) be shouted, to have sacked, to
d) being shouted, to sack, to
14. I’ve _ the problem with her, but she always _ she is too busy. I’ve even tried _ her _ lunch with me but she refused _.
a) to discuss, says, asking, to, to go
b) to discuss, tells, to ask, for, going
c) discussing, says, to ask, for, going
d) discussing, tells, to ask, for the, going
15. I _ rather she _ a chat with him. How long _ like this?
a) would, has, was he
b) had, would, have, is he
c) would, had, has he been
d) had, had, had he been
16. His wife who _ their baby daughter into the bed _ in the parlour _ socks.
a) have just put, was sitting, darning
b) had just put, was sitting, darning
c) just put, sat, darned
d) just put, had been sitting, to darn
17. _ I knew of the inmates of Moor House, _ I liked them because they were the best people I _.
a) more, better, ever met
b) the most, the best, had ever met
c) more, the best, have ever met
d) the more, the better, had ever met
19. Harry was the first _ that his brother _ forward _ the candidate for this district.
a) to suggest, be put, as
b) suggesting, should put, as
c) suggest, should be put, like
d) to have suggested, were put, like
20. I always used to arrive _ at the office, but since Laurie was born my secretary _ used to _ me hard at work by the time she gets in.
a) late, has got, finding
b) late, had got, finding
c) lately, got, finding
d) later, was got, find